Valparaiso Library will be closing today at 5 PM for New Years Eve! Thank you for joining us at our local library and we can’t wait to start another year with you 🙂
Mark your calendars! We will be playing Small Foot at 4 p.m on December 27th
During this season (actually I love using it all year) my crock pot is my best-friend. Don’t you hate when you have to go home after a long day of work and have to worry about what to cook? By the time you are done, there was no relaxing, no glass of wine because its bedtime? I can now make meals during the day while not being home. I can even prep freezer meals, throw them in the crock pot before I head out and come home to the smell of a good roast. Below, you will find one of my favorite recipes that is simple and filling. Don’t forget those sides! Mash potatoes is the ultimate comfort food with gravy on top!
- 2 lbs Sirloin Steak
- Salt Pepper, and Steak Seasoning.
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 cups of water divided
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 of a medium sweet onion diced.
- 1 cup carrots/celery/peppers (optional)
- Season the sirloin steak with Salt, Pepper, and Steak Seasoning.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium high heat.
- When the oil is hot sear all sides of the sirloin steak. About 1 minute per side.
- Place sirloin steak in a slow cooker. (if adding fresh veggies,place veggies in the slow cooker first before the meat)
- Add 2 cups of water and the beef bouillon cube to the hot pan.
- Allow bouillon cube to dissolve and water to come to a boil.
- In a small mixing bowl whisk together 1 cup of water, flour, garlic powder, onion powder and pepper.
- Slowly pour flour mixture into the pan. Whisk in the flour mixture.
- Continue to whisk and let the gravy thicken and come to a slow boil.
- Remove from heat and carefully pour the gravy over the steak in the slow cooker.
- Add diced onions to the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on High for 4 hours or until steak is tender.